Monday, March 12, 2007
The creative Process
In this assignment I chose to design a logo for a prospective clothing company. the text for "attack with ink", which would be the brand, was made using a Magnum Sharpie which I then scanned in to Illustrator. The name relates to the old saying "the pen is mightier than the sword", and it suggests or orders (depending on how it's read) that you pick up a utensil for art instead of a weapon. The antagonistic use of the word attack relates to where in graffiti words like "Bombing" "Destroying" are used in the sense of creating something new where there wasn't before. It also relates to the idea of retaliating and the conquestial nature of hip hop and graffiti in particular where the idea of success is only attained when you go "all city", the idea of MC/DJ/B-Boy battles is also incorporated into this idea. It also, very subtly, relates to the most important film in hip hop- "Style Wars". The skull squid was made as squids and octopi are subjects which I frequently incorporate into my art. The skull simply has all the idea which follow a skull, death, poison, pirates, etc. The markers play the role of weapons under a crest or the bones within a skull and crossbones image. the use of greens are meant to be similar to camouflage relating to war and the army as well as the idea of staying out of sight. I originally came up with this idea so I could have a consistant text to go along with the squids I often draw, and as squids literally "attack with ink" it was a perfect fit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment